15th April 2018
Who may enter
The contest is open to anyone.
The contest is organized by the Nature of Cities and partners.
We aspire to future green cities around the globe—cities that are resilient, sustainable, livable, and just. What does this mean?
Let’s imagine. What are the stories of people and nature in cities in 2099? What will cities be like to live in? Are they lush and green, verdant and biodiverse? What will cities look like; be made of? How will they be designed and powered? Will they be tall, short, dense, under ground or under water? What of public spaces? Social organization? Mobility? Government? Sustainability and food? Wildlife? Climate change and resilience? Poverty, consumption, wealth, and justice? How will we interact and relate to one another and the natural world? What sort of stories can we tell about our communities and the spaces that will shape them?
You tell us. What are the stories of people and the nature of cities in 2099?
The work must:
– be 1000 words or less;
– be of any style or genre of fiction;
– be set in a city (of any size) in the year 2099;
– include as significant plot elements both nature and people;
– be submitted in English.
Entry is free.
• 1 Gold prize: $3,000 and a place in the collected publication
• 2 Silver prizes: $1,500 and a place in the collected publication
• 3 Bronze prizes: $500 and a place in the collected publication
• Honorable mentions: no prize money, but included in the collected publication